The Lady with the Dog, by Andon Chekhov (1899)

 The Lady with the Dog, by Anton Chekhov (1899)


Rating: 7.5/10


By reading Anton Chekhov's well-known short story "The Lady with the Dog," I was able to realize that love can change a person totally. The protagonist Gurov was married and had offspring, but he was discontented that he wandered Yalta, where can meet lonely men and women. Until he encountered the lady with the dog(Anna Sergeyevna), he was never serious about his meetings. However, he was fascinated by her, even though she also had a husband. So their secret love affair. He loved Sergeyevna so much that he visited her residence recklessly. Gurov never showed that much passion to women. 

"so he had unintentionally deceived her..." Chekhov described Gurov deceived Sergeyevna because Gurov acted very different from his ordinary behaviors, the Gurov image she had was not his past reflections. I know this because I've seen my friends act unfamiliar with hanging their girlfriends. They just like their lovers so much that they don't want to reveal their real selves; girlfriends might dislike ordinary habits. But it's inappropriate in "The Lady with the Dog" because they both have wife and husband. Though I could empathize with Gurov perfectly, I kind of liked the story because I was able to understand. 

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Cat Person, by Kristen Roupenian

I remember ...