Afternoon in Linen, by Shirley Jackson

 

 Afternoon in Linen, by Shirley Jackson

 

Children’s talents, hobbies, or interests can always be their parents’ source of pride. Like in “Afternoon in Linen,” I also experienced what Harriet and Howard had done, so I really sympathized with Harriet. I’d also thought about making my hobbies look more specialized by exaggerating, which I didn’t because I was timid.

 





It was shocking that Harriet just exposed that she copied the poem from the book. I simply thought she really copied it, but after hearing our class discussion, I started wondering if perhaps she truly wrote it by herself but she was shy. It was reasonable to infer she lied because she doesn’t want to perform in front of Mrs. Kator and Mrs. Lennon: “I don’t know any,” which is what she responded when her grandmother asked her to perform music. I liked the story because it made me conjecture the writer’s intention.

 

Rating – 8/10

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Cat Person, by Kristen Roupenian

The Lady with the Dog, by Andon Chekhov (1899)

I remember ...